Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Outline of Struggling Mother Theme to Personal Life by Mellinda Miller

“I had to get to the light, that wondrous beacon stuffed with Don’t close the door, Mama. I’m scared. Its okay m’ijo. There’s no monsters. We’ll be here. Don’t be scared” (Pg 104).

“Despite [Mama’s missing teeth] she worked all the time, chased after my brother…and held up the family when almost everything else came apart” (Pg 23).


     The Santa Ana winds are blowing a cold chill that penetrates through our goodwill jackets that my mother worked over time to buy. Hearing the taunting voices of the children after our first day at the new school we continue on without recognition of their harsh words. We were profiled because our skin was fare and our eyes were green or blue. This would be the sixth, or maybe the seventh elementary school we attended but we moved so much I lost count. I didn't grow up in the nicest of neighborhoods and was one of the few “white” children at school. 
     My mother was a single mom raising three children and working three jobs just to make ends meat. Sometimes we would cry at night when our bellies ached with hunger pains or when a shot filled the nightly air. Yearning for the peace and comfort that Luis speaks of, my mother would repeat similar words “Don’t be afraid sweetheart, Mommies right here and I’ll protect you from anything.” Mothers are the foundation of which a child can grow upon and feel comforted. As a single mother myself I see why my own mother did everything and anything for us. Even sacrificing her own meal so that we could eat just a little more. Luis saw his mother cry off to the side for him as I did for mine. Despite her attempts to keep us safe we were bullied at school and were forced to fight back and ended up being the ones suspended for being the minority. 
     My younger brother and I luckily found new paths home and the pressure was lifted when the local kids eventually  found out the force of my older brother. Constantly worrying about Luis’ safety, his mother finally shut him out to ease the pain of unknowing. Would he be arrested, hospitalized, or would he be dead- No mother should have to endure these things- yet in areas not well known to most, this is a daily occurrence. This book well represents the worries of the struggles for Mothers in poor areas; especially to troublesome boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment